Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Beryl 2.1.0, Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04 default, is buggy confusion

After upgrading my Ubuntu 6.10 installation to 7.04, two things happened: my video drivers weren't installed properly, and Beryl wasn't working.

I use an ATI card. The standard 'ati' opensource drivers don't cooperate- I have to use FGLRX. Using the restricted drivers manager made installing the drivers easier, but I still needed to configure them, specifically:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and adding

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
Followed by:

sudo aticonfig --initial
sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv
These steps were -essential-. When I was having problems getting this stuff to work I initially went straight to Google for answers which led me in circles for a long time. I should I have stuck to the basics!
Check http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Feisty_Installation_Guide before doing anything else!

The second culprit was the newest Beryl version, 2.1.0. This was something I didn't know about until I found myself at this thread at the Ubuntu forums.

Ubuntu forum member Eode details how to escape the 2.1.0 trap and use version 2.0.0 of Beryl, which fixed all of my Beryl problems.

Image used is copyright of it's respective owners, obtained from http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Icons

No comments: